Science and Technology Policy Academy Mission
WHO IS THE SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY ACADEMY FOR?
If you’re interested in science & technology policy, you’ve probably already been to any number of free webinars and panel discussions about Policy Careers, How Washington Works, How to Write a Memo, and similar topics. You also know that getting a policy fellowship or job in science & technology is very competitive.
But you are now at the stage where you need to go beyond these free options as you keep hearing the same advice over and over again. Yet, you don’t have the time or money for yet another degree or a traditional class.
If you’re a student, you can’t fit in a public policy class in an already packed schedule. And if you’re working on your dissertation, your lab chief doesn’t want you to take time off from your research to explore a non-research career option. Plus, many universities and colleges, don’t even have a public policy school where you can take classes.
And you’re concerned that even if you took this option, you’re not sure if the faculty have the practical experience you need to be more competitive than your many peers who are also interested in science & technology.
You may also lack a mentor to help you navigate the world of science & technology policy knowledge, analytical techniques, and careers. Few science & engineering faculty delve into science & technology policy, and of those who do, even fewer have learned the skills behind policy analysis or ever been in an S&T policy career.
And, if you’re currently in a job or fellowship, you may be the only scientist or engineer interested in a policy career. You’d also like to determine how best to bridge that first job or fellowship into a long-term career. The result: You find yourself needing more analysis and career guidance than your supervisors can provide.
Your goal, and that of others who are part of this community, is to provide the latest scientific and technical knowledge AND policy analysis to enhance societal outcomes in energy, the environment, health, housing, global diplomacy, innovation, and a host of other issues. The challenge is how to get there.
The Science & Technology Policy Academy (STPA) was created to meet your needs through discussions with people just like you.
In-depth Science & Technology Policy Education and Coaching for those Serious About a Career in Science & Technology Policy
The Science and Technology Policy Academy will provide you with five keys for success:
1. Expertise: The knowledge and skills you need so you are more competitive for jobs and fellowships in science and technology policy.
2. Implementation Support: Individual vetted writing and analysis samples that you can use to apply for jobs and fellowships.
3. Community: A network of scientists, engineers, and health professionals who are also serious about a job in science & technology policy who can help each other reach their goal. You can remain part of this community even after your class ends.
4. Accountability: Through micro-assignments, weekly check-ins, group phone calls, you’ll have in place accountability measures that encourage you to take time out of your busy schedule to focus on your own success.
5. Coaching: Every class will come with a coaching call to help you better understand your career options. Ask me anything.